What To Do If My Pet Has Fleas
Fleas are small wingless parasites that love humidity and can be picked up from the surrounding environment or from other pets. They can easily jump from one host to another and can lay up to 50 eggs per day. The following symptoms are reasons to suspect your pet may have fleas:
- Intense itching and licking of the skin
- Scabbing or redness
- Hair loss
- Skin sores
- Restless behavior
- Visible evidence of fleas
- Flea dirt or debris that is left in your pet’s bed
If you suspect your pet has fleas, then the first thing you want to do is schedule an appointment with your local vet. Your vet will be able to confirm whether fleas are the problem and advise you on a proper treatment. Generally, the following methods are ways to eradicate fleas from your pet:
- Prescription Flea Medication: Your vet may prescribe to you prescription flea medications, or oral and topical flea control methods. These medications are known to work very effectively and can ward off fleas for up to a few months.
- Dog Flea Shampoos: The right flea shampoo can kill these pests and soothe your pet’s skin. Check out this list of some of the best flea shampoos if your pet is showing any of the above symptoms of fleas.
- Flea Control at Home: Prevention can often be the best cure for fleas. Start by washing your pet’s bedding in hot, soapy water. Vacuum the carpets and floors and keep a clean environment for your pet to live in to reduce the chances of your dog getting fleas.
Grooming at Rover Resort
Fleas can be a very uncomfortable experience for both you and your pet. One of the best ways to prevent this is to get regular grooms so you can stay ahead of the problem. Pamper your pet with us at Rover Resort in the Prosper, Celina, and McKinney areas. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.