cat with green eyes looking at the camera close up at rover resort
Our Blog
Latest News

Pet Dangers During The Holiday Season

The holiday season is a time of joy and delight. But this can also mean increased pet mischief, as our pets become excited by all the shiny new things around them and enticing smells that are often part of their owners' holiday foods and sweets.


Because of the increase in hazards that pets face during the holiday season, pet owners should be extra vigilant. Indeed, a recent study shows an uptick in emergency vet google searches during this time.


The following are some of the most common pet hazards associated with the holidays.


Food Hazards

For many people, the highlight of a holiday meal is the food; however, it can be dangerous for their pets.

Here are some examples:

  • Chocolate: Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. It contains theobromine, which can be harmful if ingested. You should keep chocolate away from your pets especially during the holidays.
  • Onions and garlic: Onions and garlic are toxic to dogs, because they can cause hemolytic anemia: a condition in which red blood cells break down faster than your pet’s body is able to replace them.
  • Bones: Turkey bones can splinter when eaten by dogs, causing intestinal blockages. If your pet eats a turkey bone and you notice symptoms such as vomiting or lethargy, take him to the vet immediately.


Christmas Trees

While Christmas trees are a beautiful addition to any holiday celebration, they can pose a danger to pets. Trees should be securely anchored to prevent them from falling and injuring your pets. Tree water is also a health hazard for animals, as stagnant water can harbour harmful bacteria.


Place a baby gate or other type of barrier around your Christmas tree to keep pets away from it.


Lights And Batteries

Chewing on the wires of Christmas lights can lead to electrocution for your pet. If one of these strands gets caught around their neck, they could strangle themselves. Electrical chords should be hung high up or safely wrapped and taped down. Batteries that power a number of Christmas decorations contain zinc, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting and more unpleasant symptoms in pets if ingested.



Christmas ornaments are a common source of injury for pets. Broken ornaments can slice into a pet's mouth and cause injuries in its digestive tract. Hanging breakable ornaments high up and out of the pet's reach is advisable. Pet owners can go for pet-safe, non-toxic Christmas decor.


Many animals are especially drawn to shiny decor like tinsel or ribbons. However, these are potentially deadly for pets. Not only can they choke your pet, but the ribbon can also get wrapped around their neck, leading to strangulation. Tinsel is even more dangerous because it is small enough to be swallowed whole by a pet and causes intestinal blockages.


Visit the ASPCA website to check out foods that are poisonous to cats and dogs.


In This Holiday Season, Rover Resort Will Make Sure Your Pets Are In Good Health

Our team at Rover Resort will do everything in our power to make your stay with us as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. We treat every animal that comes through our doors like family, so you can be sure that your pet is receiving the best care available this festive season.

Need a safe and fun place for your pet to stay during the holidays? Book your pet's boarding appointment now before we book up!


Spring Getaway: How To Plan The Perfect Vacation F...
4 Reasons To Try Our New App, Yourgi

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Have Any


Healthy pets are happy pets,
trust their paws to our caring hands!
Healthy pets are happy pets, trust their paws to our caring hands!

General Hours

Monday: Friday 8am - 6pm
Saturday: 8am - 12pm
Sunday: Closed

Follow Us

Publish modules to the "offcanvas" position.